Popular Posts

Tuesday 29 March 2016

Why it's a good idea to Step Up in 2016

Are you dithering on the sidelines? Shall I? Shan't I? Maybe I will. May be I won't go to the Division E Conference. Then again ...

Here's 9 extremely good answers to common "will I/won't I/why should I?" questions. ( And yes, if we're honest, we've all asked them!)

FAQs for fence sitters


1. I’ve been to my club contest, my area contest and now you want to me to go to another contest?

While the Division E International Speech and Evaluation Contests will be a major part of the event the conference isn’t just speech contests. There will also be speeches filled with updates and inspiration from the District 72 (New Zealand) Club Growth Director Sarah Bate and our Division Director Gael Price. It’s also a fantastic way to meet new friends from around the region.



2. Why is it four hours long?


Four hours can seem like a long time, but this includes two contests, speeches, division awards, some quick fire games and a networking afternoon tea. The time will fly!

3. I don’t want to go by myself - what if I don’t know anyone there?

As you will know Toastmasters are supportive people - if you want to go to the conference but are worried that you won’t know anyone why not ask another member of your club if they would like to attend with you? Most clubs will have at least one member there - and many of your Area Directors will be present as well.

4. I would like to come, but what if I can’t make it to the venue?

As mentioned above Toastmasters are supportive people - if you are worried about getting to the venue ask another member if they can give you a ride, or even meet at a cafe before the conference and walk there together?

5. What if I turn up and I get asked to do something like timer or ballot counting?

Don’t worry about that! The conference organising team are working very hard to organise all aspects of the contest and they will make sure all of those roles are filled well in advance, you just need to come and enjoy the experience!

6. I haven’t got my Competent Communicator yet, am I too new a Toastmaster?

Of course not! Conferences are open to everyone, even if you aren’t a Toastmaster. No-one will know what manual you are working from.

7. Will I have to do a Table Topic?

That’s a tricky question. Although we don’t have a planned Table Topics session we can’t guarantee there won’t be the chance - but if you don’t want to take part just say so! No-one will be upset if you don’t want to do one.

8.What if people ignore me/don’t talk to me?

The easiest way to make sure people talk to you is to start a conversation with someone! Everyone has been to their first conference before so understands how daunting these can be. It does pay to remember that a lot of people have jobs on the day, and these conferences can sometimes be the only time people see each other, so don’t take it personally if it seems like you are in a sea of people who know each other - just start a conversation and make a new friend.

9. My question wasn’t answered here - who should I talk to?

If you have any further questions you can email the Conference Chair Mike McKee: area_e7@toastmasters.org.nz  Or Division Director Gael Price: division_e@toastmasters.org.nz

See you at the conference!

Many thanks to Owen Winter Area 6 Director for the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment